RYA Online Professional Practices & Responsibilities
RYA Online Professional Practices & Responsibilities (PPR)
Each year approximately 4,500 people apply to the RYA for a commercial endorsement in order to use their RYA qualifications professionally as skipper or crew. You could be doing anything from delivering a new yacht or driving a work boat with lifting and towing gear, to running a superyacht in the Med. Whatever your job is onboard, in the commercial world you are a professional seafarer. As such, you have a duty of care to crew, passengers, and other water users, and you will be held to account if things go wrong.
The course is broken down into four modules:
1. Commercial Environment – how you fit into the professional maritime world.
2. People – the importance of correct manning, keeping your skills up to date and the safe management of commercial vessels.
3. Vessel – the compulsory carriage and maintenance of safety equipment and how to create and implement risk control and operating procedures. ·
4. Purpose – making sure your vessel is suitable and legal for the work you are carrying out, your obligations in protecting the environment, appropriate planning and situational awareness.
You will need to download resource material to keep using as a reference point. Before going for the final test please make sure you try the practice tests, as you will only have two chances in the final test.
We estimate users will take around 6 to 8 hours to work through the four course modules. The graded end of course assessment is split into two sections, totaling 2 ½ hours.
We will email you a personal username and password. You will be given tutorials on the site but you can also email our instructors with the link on the training site if you need any further assistance.
Once you have successfully completed the final test please print out your certificate. Please keep your login details safe incase you need to access the site to print out further copies of the certificate.
Book Your Session
This course is taken online from your home.
This is an online course. you will need a PC, Mac or Tablet to complete the course.
Once you have booked your course we will email you a personal username and password. You will be given tutorials on the site but you can also email our instructors with the link on the training site if you need any further assistance.
To complete the course you will need the navigation pack which is included in the course cost. This includes the training charts, training almanac, plotters and dividers. We will post to the address you used when booking online, unless you notify us otherwise.
If you do not hear from us with your login details please email us or phone 01273 42 48 42 option 1.
When you make a booking with us we assign staff and equipment to deliver the booking. That means we are unable to offer that space to anyone else.
If you cancel that space we are likely to incur a loss. We will have already made commitments to staff and we may have turned away other bookings. We are unable to get insurance that covers us for this loss.
We therefore do not offer refunds for cancellations. If we did not do this we would have to put up our prices for everyone.
Our cancellation policy applies in all circumstances including no shows, illness, relocation, transport failure and bereavement.
Course Cancellation Insurance
You can take out insurance to cover the cost of your course against cancellation through CancelSure. Guide cost is £12 for the first £100 of cover and then £6 per additional £100 of cover.
- If you pay by credit card your cancellation may be covered by your credit card provider.
- Consider taking out course cancellation insurance.
- Your holiday insurance may cover you for course where you stay on our boats.
Please see our full Booking Terms and Conditions
You may cancel your course/event at any time. Written notification from the Lead Name in your group is required. Cancellation will only be accepted on payment of the cancellation charges as set out below. The following cancellation fees apply :
• More than 8 weeks before course/event – loss of deposit
• Less than 8 weeks before course/event – 100% of price of course/event
At our discretion, we may allow a forfeited deposit to be used towards an alternative course/event run by us or the same course on an alternative date. In each case, such a booking will be at the price prevailing at the time of re-booking and subject to an admin charge of £25 for courses over £150 and £10 for courses under £150. In these circumstances we offer significant discounts on rebooking within 12 months.
The discount is based on how much notice was given for the booking cancellation and non discounted course rates:
• More than 4 weeks before course/event – 90% discount on full brochure rates
• 2- 4 weeks before course/event – 75% discount on full brochure rates
• 13 days – 72 hours before course/event – 50% discount on full brochure rates
• 72 hours or less – 25% discount on full brochure rates
For example if you book a course worth £200 and need to change the date of that course:
4 weeks notice this will cost you an additional £20
2 weeks notice this will cost you an additional £50
3 days notice this will cost you an additional £100
24 hours notice this will cost you an additional £150
Postponement by us due to bad weather
On some occasions courses may need to be postponed due to bad weather. In these circumstances we will offer you alternative dates, no refund will be available.
On some occasions group events may need to be postponed due to bad weather. In these circumstances we will offer you alternative dates.
If you are unable or unwilling to accept these new dates then we will refund you the full cost of the course less 15%.