It is a legal requirement that someone onboard has a VHF license and this course teaches basic radio operation and what to do in situations of distress and emergencies. It is extremely beneficial to learn how to use a VHF as it is one of the most important safety features on any boat.
A course for anyone who owns a fixed or handheld marine VHF radio. A radio is an important piece of safety equipment on board and it is vital to understand the correct procedures. Unnecessary transmissions could block out a Mayday distress call. The Short Range Certificate is the minimum qualification required by law to control the operation of VHF and VHF Digital Selective Calling (DSC) equipment on any British flagged vessel voluntarily fitted with a radio. This includes both fixed and hand held equipment using International channels.
Course topics include:
Once you have booked with us we will send you username and password to start online training. The course will be taught and examined using radio simulators. The exam will also include a short written test.
There is a one off £60 fee made payable to the RYA for the exam
For more information please call 01273 424842 opt1 or Email Us
1. Flexibility – anytime, anywhere and at your own speed
2. Suitable for all – new crews through to budding skippers
3. Safety essentials – all the essential knowledge for going afloat
4. Simplicity – easy to use, interactive and full of great graphics
5. Supporting your knowledge – an ideal accompaniment to your practical course
6. Stepping stone – a great starting point for more advanced courses
7. Real skills – use real skills alongside online technology
8. Best advice – written by top RYA instructors, created by award winning designers
9. Learn it, try it, test it – practice what you’ve learnt before taking the test
10. Be part of it – the RYA’s 1st fully interactive online course
“Great experience, well taught”