1. Flexibility – anytime, anywhere and at your own speed
2. Suitable for all – new crews through to budding skippers
3. Safety essentials – all the essential knowledge for going afloat
4. Simplicity – easy to use, interactive and full of great graphics
5. Supporting your knowledge – an ideal accompaniment to your practical course
6. Stepping stone – a great starting point for more advanced courses
7. Real skills – use real skills alongside online technology
8. Best advice – written by top RYA instructors, created by award winning designers
9. Learn it, try it, test it – practice what you’ve learnt before taking the test
10. Be part of it – the RYA’s 1st fully interactive online course
Accessing the online course is simple! Once you have booked with us we will send you a username and password to start online training. An instructor will be on hand to help with queries during the course via email or phone.
Each year approximately 4,500 people apply to the RYA for a commercial endorsement in order to use their RYA qualifications professionally as skipper or crew. You could be doing anything from delivering a new 35’ yacht or driving a work boat with lifting and towing gear, to running a superyacht in the Med. Whatever your job is on board, in the commercial world you are a professional seafarer. As such, you have a duty of care to crew, passengers, and other water users, and you will be held to account if things go wrong.
1. Commercial Environment – how you fit into the professional maritime world.
2. People – the importance of correct manning, keeping your skills up to date and the safe management of commercial vessels.
3. Vessel – the compulsory carriage and maintenance of safety equipment and how to create and implement risk control and operating procedures. ·
4. Purpose – making sure your vessel is suitable and legal for the work you are carrying out, your obligations in protecting the environment, appropriate planning and situational awareness.
How to take the PPR course
The PPR course is run by RYA recognised training centres. Lagoon Watersports will provide remote access to an instructor who will be on hand to help if you have any queries during the online course. This course can only be completed online and once you have booked with us we will send you username and password to start online training.
A course for anyone who owns a fixed or handheld marine VHF radio. A radio is an important piece of safety equipment on board and it is vital to understand the correct procedures. Unnecessary transmissions could block out a Mayday distress call. The Short Range Certificate is the minimum qualification required by law to control the operation of VHF and VHF Digital Selective Calling (DSC) equipment on any British flagged vessel voluntarily fitted with a radio. This includes both fixed and hand held equipment using International channels.
Once you have booked with us we will send you username and password to start online training. The course will be taught and examined using radio simulators. The exam will also include a short written test.
The RYA Online Essential Navigation and Seamanship Course can be completed as an online course, applicable for anyone interested in sailing, power boating, motor boating or jet skis. The course is a basic introduction to navigation, seamanship and safety and falls below Day Skipper Theory within the RYA training scheme. It is ideal for users of small boats such as RIBs and dayboats. Its also a great course for those who are currently crewing on yachts and want to learn a little more before eventually progressing to the full Day Skipper courses.
About the Course:
The RYA Essential Navigation and Seamanship Course aims to introduce the basic concepts of inshore navigation and safety in an easy to understand and enjoyable format. During the course you will be introduced to the basics of navigation including tidal awareness, charts, almanacs and the use of electronic navigation aids such as GPS. You will be taught about harbour entry and departure pilotage including knowledge of buoyage and a basic understanding of the Collision Regulations so you know who has right of way! Time will also be spent looking at sources of weather information and what impact this could have on your passage. Towards the end of the course you will put all this information together to plan an actual passage. You will also learn more about what safety equipment you should carry and how it is used.
Accessing the online course is simple! Once you have booked with us we will send you username and password to start online training. An instructor will be on hand to help with queries during the course via email or phone.
The RYA Online CEVNI test is an easy way to add the inland endorsement onto you ICC (International Certificate of Competence). The ICC is a legal requirement when using the inland water ways across Europe. To study for the test you can study the RYA CEVNI Handbook which you can obtain from the RYA website.
Once you purchase the course below we will send you a user name and password, on successful completion of the test you can then print out the certificate.
Fantastic instructor on the boat and great person off the boat. Karl made the Day skipper course pleasurable to do.
Jason was an excellent teacher who we requested for the Part 2 of our Competent Crew. We had the most enjoyable weekend and both feel we have leant a lot!